Hemp Heart Energy Bites (adapted from skinnyfitalicious.com)
These easy to make, no-bake energy balls are packed with protein, healthy fats, and fiber. Hemp is a wonderful source of protein (about 5 g protein in 1 1/2 tablespoons!), making it perfect for a pre or post exercise snack. Hemp is also a great source of essential omega-3 fatty acids, the type of fats that are anti-inflammatory These hearts also have soluble fiber, the kind that keeps your heart healthy and happy by lowering the “bad” (i.e.: LDL) cholesterol. This recipe can be altered to use any type of nut or seed butter of your choice. Have fun with it, try experimenting with almond, cashew, and sunflower butter!
· 1 c rolled oats
· 1/2 c nut butter
· 3 tbsp hemp hearts, plus extra for rolling
· 1/4 c pure maple syrup
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 1/2 c 72% cacao dark chocolate chips
· pinch sea salt
1) Mix all ingredients in a large bowl with a spoon until fully combined.
2) Use a table spoon to scoop out and palm roll golf sized balls.
3) Pour extra hemp hearts on in a bowl, and roll balls over to coat.
4) Place bites on a plate lined with parchment paper, and refrigerate for 2–3 hours prior to enjoying.